The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and by Louis V. Avioli
By Louis V. Avioli
Metabolic bone degeneration (osteoporosis) impacts hundreds of thousands of people--primarily postmenopausal women--and is at once answerable for debilitating hip, vertebral, and limb fractures within the aged. Incorporating advances made inside simply the earlier 5 years, The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and Treatment serves as an up to date, sensible consultant to the key scientific facets of osteoporosis. The textual content is liberally illustrated with specific figures.
As a source for the clinician facing metabolic bone degeneration, this publication represents a superb resource of data at the analysis and day by day administration of osteoporosis.
- Topics lined include:
- Therapy with diet D metabolites, sodium fluoride, thiazides, and isoflavones
- Biochemical markers of bone turnover
- Calcium, diet D, and bone metabolism
- Estrogens and tissue selective estrogens for prevention and therapy of osteoporosis
- The results of osteoporosis on orthopaedic surgery
- The treatment of glucocorticoid bone disease
- Effects of getting older on bone constitution and metabolism
- Management of osteoporotic sufferers in our healthiness care supply system
- The genetics of osteoporosis
- Bisphosphonate remedy for osteoporosis
- Bone mass dimension thoughts in medical practice
- Osteoporosis and the bone biopsy
Read Online or Download The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and Treatment PDF
Similar rheumatology books
Metabolic bone degeneration (osteoporosis) impacts hundreds of thousands of people--primarily postmenopausal women--and is without delay liable for debilitating hip, vertebral, and limb fractures within the aged. Incorporating advances made inside of simply the previous 5 years, The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and therapy serves as an up to date, useful consultant to the key scientific features of osteoporosis.
This booklet specializes in medical presentation, diagnostic methods and present administration of systematic vasculitis, and for this moment variation the Editors have up-to-date the therapy technique and nomenclature in accordance with present perform. Systemic vasculitides are a gaggle of issues that are of accelerating value.
Accomplished and generously illustrated, this article highlights either common rules and particular suggestions for handling the spectrum of pediatric decrease limb deformities. it's divided thematically into 5 sections, notwithstanding any bankruptcy can stand by itself to steer the clinician in particular occasions.
- Atlas of Ultrasound-Guided Musculoskeletal Injections
- Hcv Infection and Cryoglobulinemia
- Pediatric Rheumatology for the Practitioner
- Gout - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References
- Hamstring and Quadriceps Injuries in Athletes: A Clinical Guide
Additional resources for The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and Treatment
Suarez-Almazor M, Homik JE, Messina D, Davis P: Attitudes and beliefs of family physicians and gynecologists in relation to the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, J Bone Miner, 12:1100-1107, 1997. 1. MANAGED CARE 23 Terry P: How mature is your organization's prevention effort? Four states of managed care health promotion. Healthcare Forum J 41(5): 54-58, 1998. S. Government, Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), HHS: Medicare program: Medicare coverage of and payments for bone mass measurements.
Johnson ML, Gong G, Kimberling W, Recker SM, Kimmel DB, Recker RB: Linkage of a gene causing high bone mass to chromosome l l ( l l q l 2 - 1 3 ) . Am J Hum Genet 60:1326-1332, 1997. Morrison NA, Qi JC, Tokiat A, Kelley PJ, Crofts L, Nguyen TV, Sambrook PN, Eisman JA: Prediction of bone density from vitamin D receptor alleles. Nature (London) 367:284-287, 1994. Pocock NA, Eisman JA, Hopper JL, Yeates MG, Sambrook PN, Eberl S: Genetic determinants of bone mass in adults: A twin study. J Clin Invest 80:706-710, 1987.
Quantitative traits are also called "continuous," in contrast to qualitative traits that are expressed in the form of distinct phenotypes such as eye color. Continuous traits in humans include blood pressure, IQ, musical talent, height, and longevity. These phenotypes are usually distributed in a Gaussian manner with symmetrical variation around the mean. This allows for a wide range of values in a given population. Indeed, this is the case for BMD, whether it is in a small cohort of postmenopausal women or the entire population of Canada.