Smart Grids: Infrastructure, Technology, and Solutions by Stuart Borlase
By Stuart Borlase
What precisely is sensible grid? Why is it receiving loads consciousness? What are utilities, owners, and regulators doing approximately it? Answering those questions and extra, Smart Grids: Infrastructure, know-how, and ideas gives readers a clearer knowing of the drivers and infrastructure of 1 of the main talked-about subject matters within the electrical application market—smart grid. This booklet brings jointly the information and perspectives of an enormous array of specialists and leaders of their respective fields.
- Describes the impetus for swap within the electrical application industry
- Discusses the enterprise drivers, merits, and industry outlook of the clever grid initiative
- Examines the technical framework of permitting applied sciences and clever solutions
- Identifies the function of know-how advancements and coordinated criteria in shrewdpermanent grid, together with numerous projects and firms supporting to force the shrewdpermanent grid effort
- Presents either present applied sciences and forward-looking principles on new technologies
- Discusses boundaries and demanding elements for a winning clever grid from a application, regulatory, and purchaser perspective
- Summarizes contemporary clever grid projects round the world
- Discusses the outlook of the drivers and applied sciences for the next-generation shrewdpermanent grid
Smart grid is outlined no longer when it comes to what it really is, yet what it achieves and the advantages it brings to the application, buyer, society, and atmosphere. Exploring the present state of affairs and destiny demanding situations, the ebook offers a world standpoint on how the shrewdpermanent grid integrates twenty-first-century know-how with the twentieth-century energy grid.
CRC Press Authors Speak
Stuart Borlase speaks approximately his e-book. Watch the video
Read Online or Download Smart Grids: Infrastructure, Technology, and Solutions PDF
Similar electric books
In energy approach engineering, essentially all result of smooth keep an eye on thought might be utilized. Such an software will lead to a more cost effective, easier and better carrier caliber operation and in much less inconvenience with regards to irregular stipulations. For its analytical therapy, regulate procedure layout more often than not calls for the decision of a mathematical version from which the keep watch over approach will be derived.
Strength electronics relies at the switching working mode of semiconductor elements. in this foundation, the innovations of variety (voltage or present) and reversibility of interconnected resources give the opportunity to use a technique for the synthesis of varied kinds of converters. right here the writer provides the most important forms of elements to be had, consistently from a user’s viewpoint, with the gate drive/fire keep watch over and different auxiliary circuits which are required for his or her right functioning (snubbers, for example).
''Civil Works for Hydroelectric amenities: guidance for all times Extension and Upgrade'' explores methodologies and strategies for utilizing rehabilitation engineering to getting older hydroelectric infrastructure. This file presents guidance for all times extension and improve of hydroelectric works to be used through vendors, operators, regulators, and engineers contemplating infrastructure rehabilitation or alternative.
- The Nervous System and Electric Currents: Proceedings of the Third Annual National Conference of the Neuro-Electric Society, held in Las Vegas, Nevada, March 23–25, 1970
- Sinusoidal Three-Phase Windings of Electric Machines
- Symmetrical Components for Power Systems Engineering
- Large Turbo-Generators: Malfunctions and Symptoms
- Hvdc grids for transmission of electrical energy : offshore grids and a future supergrid
Additional resources for Smart Grids: Infrastructure, Technology, and Solutions
Smart grid pilot projects driven by regulatory pressure that focus on the impact of new meters on consumers will evolve to technology-rich, system-wide smart grid deployments that demonstrate well-proven and quantified benefits. A key component to effectively enable full value of smart grid realization is technology with the functionalities and capabilities to achieve cohesive end-to-end integrated, scalable, and interoperable solutions. 2 SMART GRID DRIVERS The smart grid is essential to enable a future that is prosperous and sustainable.
For example, in the United States, investor-owned utilities are regulated by FERC and state PUCs, while municipal and cooperative utilities are regulated by local communities and/or boards of directors made up of their members. Many countries throughout the world have national regulatory bodies including OFGEM in the United Kingdom, Commission de Regulation de l’Energie in France, CRE in Mexico, and so on. In many Middle Eastern and African countries, the regulatory function is provided by the ministry of energy.
In Spain, Red Eléctrica has established a Control Centre of Renewable Energies (CECRE), the first control center in the world for all wind farms over 10 MW. The IEA forecasts that by 2050, solar power could deliver between 20% and 25% of global electricity—reducing CO2 emissions by almost 6 billion tons per year . 3 Gt of CO2 GHG reductions . EPRI’s March 2011 report, “Estimating the Costs and Benefits of the Smart Grid,”  has slightly higher numbers, estimating an additional 13% of renewable generation enabled by the smart grid.